Many authors use Open Office Org instead of MS Word of similar programs for the Macintosh. However, most of the instructions I’ve found relate to MS Word, and aren’t the same as the procedure for OOo. I use OOo, so I’ve started writing the directions I need to make my documents.
When you are formatting an eBook for the Amazon Kindle or for SmashWords, you need links and bookmarks throughout the document.
Here’s how to set up your bookmarks and hyperlinks in Open Office Org
1. Click immediately before where you want the bookmark to appear. You will see a flashing line right before the word.
2. Click Insert>Bookmark
3. Type in the name of the bookmark: UrbanComposting with no spaces between the words. Click OK
4. Scroll up to the place where you want to make a hyperlink that will go to the bookmark. In this case, I’m hyperlinking my Table of Contents to the actual content in my eBook.
5. Highlight the term.
6. Click: Insert>hyperlink
7. A pop up screen will appear. Make sure you have chosen the “Document” menu from the left pane.
8. Under “Target in Document” you will see an Icon next to the blank field labeled “Target.” Click on the Icon.
9. Another pop up box will appear on the left (or wherever on you screen). Click on the + next to Bookmarks.
10. Highlight the bookmark you just created. Click: Apply>Close
11. The name of the bookmark should now be transferred to the first popup screen. Under “Target in document”>Target: UrbanComposting. Under URL: #UrbanComposting.
12. Under “Further Settings”>Text: UrbanComposting.
13. Click: Apply>Close
14. The term you have chosen for the hyperlink should now be blue and underlined.
15. To check to see if it works, hold down the CTRL key and click on the underlined word. It should take you to the place in the document where you created the bookmark.